Sensescapes in Tourist Experiences
Discuss how tourist enterprises (accommodation, restaurants, attractions, activities etc.) may develop attractive “sensescapes” to enhance the tourists’ experiences at a destination/along a tourist route.
Focus on several senses and not only the visual (the tourist gaze) like “smellscapes”, “soundscapes”, “tastescapes” and “touchscapes”.
Emphasize both the natural environment and the built environment.
Choose one of the following cases:
- Sea or water experiences in a coast destination
- Village experiences, surrondings of Tarnow?
- A big city experiences, Krakow?
- Biking experiences
Good luck 🙂
- Urry, J. (2002). The tourist Gaze. Second Edition. London: Sage. (Chapter 8).
- Mossberg, L. (2007). Å skape opplevelser. Fra ok til wow. Bergen: Fagbokforlaget.
- Mossberg, L. (2009). A marketing approach to the tourist experience. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 7(1), 59-74.
- Breiby, M. (2014). Exploring aesthetic dimensions in a nature-based tourism context. Journal of Vacation Marketing. 20(2), 163-173.
- Dann, G., and Jacobsen, J.C.S. (2003). Tourism smellscapes. Tourism Geographies. 5(1), 3-25.